Saturday, July 19, 2008

COLUMN: One of the Cell Phone Losers

By Tobin Barnes
I just don’t get it with cell phones. In other words, I won’t be preaching to the choir on this one.

Yeah, I’m most definitely in a distinct minority here. Most people seem to love their cell phones. Use them every chance they get. (Minutes, minutes. They need more minutes.)

When not talking or texting, they’re picking out ringtones to identify each caller: “Purple Haze?” What does Grandpa want now?

But I and about six percent of the rest of the population are left, to put it mildly, scratching our heads. We’re wondering, “What’s wrong with us?” We feel so different. We’re like the kids eating by themselves in the lunchroom.

Did we miss the invitation? Where’s the party?

Sometimes we almost feel like we’re batting for the other team. Uh huh, we know what it’s like to be different. When it comes to cell phones, we’re glad there’s a don’t ask, don’t tell policy in place.

What’s the deal? Why don’t we get on the cell as soon as we get in our cars--like most people? Why don’t our phones ring, or at least politely buzz in the middle of a meeting? Why don’t we constantly check our cells for the latest text message?

A few hours ago, I drove past this guy careening along in his jeep, holding a cell phone to his ear with one hand and bringing a drink to his mouth with the other. Of course, no hands were on the wheel.

Who knows? He might have had a lit cigarette stuck in his ear like a pencil, too. Yeah, he had things going on. Me? I was just driving down the street, simply going from point A to point B.

Please, someone tell me. What’s wrong with me that I’m not like that guy? And, for that matter, like most everybody else, who might not be quite as agile but are just as darned talkative in their vehicles.

Why do I think driving a one-ton car down the road takes most of my concentration? Couldn’t I be juggling some bowling pins as well? Or maybe writing this column on my laptop along the way? Hey, I could be stuffing envelopes for someone’s political campaign. Helping to change this country.

Why, unlike most people, aren’t I multi-tasking, busily utilizing this finite burst of life granted to me. I could be doing things AND talking to people. Yes, to people. Sharing our humanity, for goodness sakes. Having witty, stimulating conversations, like:

“Hi, what’re you up to.”

“Not much. How bout you.”

“Nothing here. Just thought I’d call you. What’re you doing tonight?

“Not much. How bout you.”

Yeah, that could be me. Intimately sharing my life with others.

And why don’t I leave the room, class, meeting, movie theatre, you name it several times to answer the latest call. Hey, I’ve got a cell phone--a cheap little Tracfone I use about once every blue moon. I could be like him or her, taking those life-or-death essential calls that absolutely, positively have to be taken right then and there or the world as we know it will come to an end.

Problem is, I don’t know if I’ve had one of those life-or-death essential calls in my life. Not one that I couldn’t have just as well taken at some later time. And, strangely, no dire consequences have ever occurred. But then, I’m not a heart surgeon or even the guy shadowing the President on his trips, carrying the nuclear “football” that could start WWIII.

And why haven’t I ever sat in a restaurant talking to someone on my cell phone while totally ignoring the person sitting right across from me who has taken the time that day to personally be with me?

What’s the deal? Can someone help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment