Sunday, April 26, 2009

COLUMN: Time to Pay Attention

By Tobin Barnes
You know? It’s the simple things.

Right?

Sure, I like a little complexity, too. It can be stimulating.

But life is teeming with complexity. It comes in spades. You don’t have to look for it, it looks for you.

On the other hand, you’ve got to be paying attention to appreciate the simple things.

They tend to be under the radar.

They don’t compete for your attention.

They’re subtle.

Almost sneaky.

You’ve got to stop yourself every once in a while and say, “Hey, what about this!” If you don’t do that, ffffwwwtt, it’s gone.

And it’s back to complexity.

I didn’t need to tell you that, but I guess I did.

Anyway, now that the trauma of early spring storms is past, it’s time for one of my favorite simple things. I’ve had a couple chances to practice it so far, and I hope there’ll be many more.

Allow me to describe it for you:

It’s a nice spring day, maybe 60’s or 70’s outside--could be even 80’s. Things are greening up. Nature’s ready to explode.

That’s when I get myself a bottle of Corona with a little wedge of lime stuck into it. Maybe a piece of cheese and a couple crackers, too. (I know some people might prefer a glass of wine instead, but only one of whatever is all you need. You don’t need any kind of a buzz to do this.)

Next, I get settled into an adirondack chair on my front porch, and now I’m ready.

Ready to do what?

I’m ready to sit there and look at my favorite tree.

It’s an Austrian pine that we planted about fourteen years ago. Even though the deer have nibbled at it here and there, and it’s suffered some wind damage, it’s my favorite tree.

Oh sure, I like to look at some of the other trees, too, and I like to look at the grass—particularly after it’s newly mowed—but I always come back to the Austrian pine for some reason.

In spring, the pine’s growth ends are starting to develop and sprout out, and I like to watch their progress as the season unfolds. It’s not like I can see it happening, but it’s happening. I can tell the difference one day to the next.

Spring is a season where you’ve got to be paying particular attention. If you don’t, it’s your loss.

Now, I’m fully aware that this is all a little like watching the grass grow, if not a lot like it, but that’s the point. Not much is happening there on my porch, but what’s going on is right up my alley.

It’s the simple life.

For me, it’s a big part of the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment